I've been a happy Lightroom user for a while now, but I noticed that many others are using various alternatives for their black and white conversions. One of the most popular is Silver Efex from Niksoft. I've tried the demo version of the original software before, but didn't buy the full version in the end as I wasn't totally convinced of what it offered for the seemingly high price of €199. Last week saw the release of Silver Efex Pro2, which promises a host of new features. I've only just downloaded the demo version to have a play with, but on first appearance, it looks identical to the previous version. The various preset filters seem interesting, so I quickly tried a couple out to see what happened. (I didn't make any other adjustments).
Here's the original:
First, I tried the Fine Art preset. One of the new features of the software, is the inclusion of various borders:
Next, a familiar one from the original version, Fuji Acros 100:
I definitely need to spend a bit of time getting to grips with Silver Efex. I imagine like most software, once you ditch the presets and start delving into the advanced features, you start to see the real benefits.



No comments:
Post a Comment